Wednesday, May 7, 2014

1st time Directing

Directing for the first time on this project.

It was a little bit weird not working with the same talent that I had been used to last semester. By the end of production on Life and Death I had a shorthand for speaking with my actor as well as him having a strong sense of the character and what he should do for each scene.

Nick Janney definitely helped with what would work since he wrote the script, but I feel like I did a good job at getting different types of reactions out of the talent. My favorite take that I directed was when I told Brandon to laugh similarly to a mad scientist and it got a lot of energy out of him. That was also the fifth take I believe. Each time I had him do something a little bit more ridiculous, so by the time we got there he was very loosened up.

It was challenging directing the interview scenes because you need to think about where the scene plays into the story more than with full scenes. The interview needs to either be the set up or the punchline in a joke, so getting the performance just right for either an extreme reaction or an extreme juxtaposition.

It was pretty fun working with the talent though, since they brought so much to the table and were very professional.

No comments:

Post a Comment